Saturday, June 16, 2012

Ruby's Room

I was planning on posting this a lot sooner but with everything that's happened over the last three weeks, I totally forgot. Here is the big reveal of Ruby's Room! We knew that we'd need to do a lot of work to make this room live-able but it's been so worth it and we're really happy with the result! Here are some befores and the corresponding afters: 
Our house has a third story and the stairs to get up there are smack-dab in the middle of the room. This room also didn't have any sort of storage or a closet. 
You can't really tell from these pictures, but the windows casings were totally falling apart. We took off some of the wood and there was a two-inch gap between the windows and the walls. This let cold air in and bugs. It was so gross- there were always dozens of dead flies on the window sill. Not too good for a little baby's room!
This room is nearly impossible to photograph! We have a little bookcase that will go between the  crib and the glider but it's in Massachusetts... I'm not sure when it will make it's way to Utah!

This will be Ruby's Blessing Dress.  It has a little bonnet too. 
We'll put pictures in those frames eventually! 


This dresser is against a wall that we put up to enclose the stairs and create a closet underneath them Dan was super excited about the closet because it made this room count on appraisals as another bedroom (technically you need at least a window and a closet to be considered a bedroom).   
 
Here is the inside of the closet - it's really deep and has plenty of storage space. 
The doll in the middle was my favorite childhood toy - her name is Squeaker  because she squeaks when you hug her. The doggie on the right was also one of my favorite toys - Toto. I guess for two-year-old Candace, any dog was Toto. And the cute monkey on the left was our first official baby gift! Jenny surprised us right after we told her the happy news! 
Ruby's bedding is from the same collection as my bedding in high school was. It'll be great because she already has  Twin sheets and quilts and stuff for when she graduates to a big girl bed. In the meantime, I really love her Jennylind Crib! 
I intended to do a lot more crafty things for the Nursery, but this is about as creative as I got. I like to say that the Momma bird and the Daddy bird are watching over their Baby bird in the crib below!  The branch is from a tree that Dan cut down in our yard.

Well, that's the Nursery! We are so happy with it and I think Ruby is too. She doesn't have the whole sleeping in her crib thing down yet but that'll come soon! I hope. 

4 comments:

Amy said...

Oh my goodness, it is darling. I especially love the birds and the wall enclosing the stairs to create a closet space.

Creole Wisdom said...

Oh my goodness do you have talent. I just wish I could fly to Utah tonight and spend time with you three!

The nursery is lovely. My favorite is the Madame Alexander baby doll :)

annie said...

Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh!! I just stared at that first "after" picture of the baby room for the longest time, trying to soak it all in and use for future reference for the day when I get to decorate a nursery (Ella sleeps in our closet right now because she doesn't have a room). That bedroom is so beautiful! I love everything about it and the composition of the pictures on the wall and how you hung up her blessing dress and the cute sheets. Wow, you guys did such an amazing job!

Mary said...

The baby room turned out FABULOUS!!! Did Dan do all that?! I love how you decorate you are amazing. Someday when I have money and a baby ; ) I must steal your talents!

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com